Make the most of any fresh food you can find during the summer growing season. For example, adding crunchy radishes, sweet sugar snap peas, cherry tomatoes, or bits of tiny cucumbers will enhance the flavor of a substantial chicken salad.
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 to 3 (14 ounces) Bare Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (red or white)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 7 cups baby spinach leaves
- 2 cups medium strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted, chopped
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 355||Calories from Fat 51|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 21g||27%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Total Carbohydrate 20g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||21%|
|Total Sugars 10g|
|Calcium 9%||Iron 16%|
|Vitamin C 109%||Vitamin A 101%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. Brush chicken with 1 tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper. Grill about 8 minutes, turning once, or until no longer pink in center and internal temp is 165°. Remove from grill; cut into bite-size pieces.
- Meanwhile, whisk remaining 3 tablespoons oil, balsamic, vinegar, garlic salt and freshly ground pepper in a large serving bowl. Top with spinach, berries, avocado, and onion. Gently toss ingredients together until well coated with dressing.
- Add chicken to salad; toss once more and serve.
Substitute in chunks of butternut squash or cauliflower, long strips of carrot, thickly sliced zucchini, or large cubes of eggplant.